Sunday, June 30, 2024

"I'm Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter", but I am perfectly me. (Week 6: Hispanic/Latino YA Selection)


“I don’t understand why everyone just complains about who I am. What am I supposed to do? Say I’m sorry? I’m sorry I can’t be normal? I’m sorry I’m such a bad daughter? I’m sorry I hate the life that I have to live?”-- Erika Sanchez
 
   
In Erika Sánchez’s novel, I’m Not Your Perfect Mexican Daughter, Julia becomes unsure of the world around her after the sudden death of her sister. She struggles with the grief of knowing that compared to her sister, Olga, she is a disappointment to her mother. While exploring Olga’s room, Julia discovers that her sister may not have been as boring as she thought. She sets out to discover the truth about her sister as she struggles with doubts about whether she will be able to get into college. Her mental health has gotten worse since Olga's death. 

    Julia wants to get into college to escape her community. Her family resides in the south-side of Chicago. Her neighborhood is riddled with crime and drugs. Her home is infested with cockroaches. Her father works in a factory, and her mother cleans houses for rich people. Julia just wants out. 

    I really enjoyed this book, although it was difficult to hear some of the content. It glossed over some of the more mature events, but still managed to display the emotions of the main character. I’m sure some of her feelings regarding her culture are similar to those of other first generation American teens. She feels like she is too Mexican for the world, but not Mexican enough for her mother or the rest of her family.
In the Classroom

    This novel is appropriate for juniors and seniors; however, I would not recommend it for classroom whole group use, because of some of the events. Julia and her friends engage in drinking, drug use, and sex. Additionally, there is a suicide attempt and discussion about a rape. I could see this book being an independent or small group choice, if students are mature enough to handle the content. In all honesty, may students have experiences and home environments like Julia’s, and they deserve to be acknowledged and explored.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Saving lives with "Gifted Hands" (Week 7: Biography Children's Book Selection)

“Ben learned an important lesson: sometimes to survive you need to face your fear and overcome it.”-- Greg Lewis              For this week...